The slogan ‘Alles Voor Vlaanderen, Vlaanderen Voor Kristus’ (All for Flanders, Flanders for Christ) is thought to have been devised by Father Frans Drijvers. It appears for the first time in 1881 in the magazine ‘De Student’. In those days university students in Leuven were striving for the acceptance and use of the Flemish language in Catholic educational institutions.
The slogan remained very popular, especially in Flemish student circles. For instance, this slogan also appeared during the First World War on the hero’s tribute tombstones. Joe English designed these tombstones especially for fallen Flemish soldiers at the front. After the war these tombstones were also the model for the construction of the Yser Tower. The acronym AVV-VVK also appears on the tower in the shape of a cross. AVV-VVK quickly evolved into the favourite slogan for Flemish-minded veterans, and initially also was the slogan for the Yser Pilgrimages. Out of respect for these groups and for their remembrance, these letters remain on the Yser Tower today. In the meantime the tower has become a listed monument.
Today we no longer strive for a uniform Christian Flanders. History and current events prove that we should rather be more afraid of people who are willing to do ‘anything’ for their country, religion or ideology. We therefore believe it is important to especially stress the message ‘No More War’, which can be seen on the tower in four languages.