THE YSER TOWER

In 1951 the first foundation post was driven in, and in 1952 the first stone was laid. The new crypt was inaugurated in 1958, the Tower in 1965. The Yser Tower is about 275 feet high, has 22 floors, and houses the Museum at the Yser.

  • Design: Architect Robert Van Averbeke
     
  • Execution:
    - Architect Robert Van Averbeke
    - Engineer A. Monthaye
    - Builder: Lode Van der Kinderen
    - Site supervisor: Karel Canfijn
    - Stained glass artists: Mark De Groot, Joost Maréchal, Jan Wouters, Eug. Yoors
     
  • Start of the work: July 1952
     
  • Consecration of the Crypt: 11 November 1958
     
  • Inauguration of the Tower: 22 August 1965
     
  • Construction term: 13 years
     
  • Height: fully: 84 meter (275,59 ft)
     
  • Measurements:
    - the letters A.V.V.-V.V.K. are 8.2 feet high
    - number of stair treads: 462
     
  • Weight of the Tower: 8,500 ton or 18.7 million pound
     
  •  Foundations:
    - "VIBRO" posts with a length of nearly 64 feet: 231
    - central plate: nearly 5 feet thick
    - reinforced concrete: 30,000 cubic feet
    - reinforcing iron: 80 ton
     
  •  Materials:
    - standard bricks: 325,000
    - facing bricks: 350,000
    - reinforced concrete: 106,000 cubic feet
    - cement: 1150 ton
    - Rhine sand: 53,000 cubic feet
    - gravel: 2,400,000 litre
    - iron: 388 ton
    - windows in Panorama room: 144, fully opening
     
  • Wind load: as the Tower is fully exposed to the very heavy Western and South-western storms, the maximum wind load has been used: 330 pound/square yard